Preparing for your CCNA Exam – Psychologically
When test-taking, perhaps the most important thing you could do for yourself is be prepared psychologically. This may sound simple but in reality it is not.
Why Prepare for CCNA – Psychologically
Taking a test is very stressful. This stress is actually part of the exam. The exam vendor wants to test how you do under pressure. The clock ticking on your screen when taking your exam may seem innocent, but in fact it’s there to make your exam more stressful. This is just one example of the things that make passing your exam that much more difficult. Fortunately, if you know these things in advance, you can anticipate and plan for them so you can be completely prepared psychologically before taking your exam.
How to Prepare for CCNA – Psychologically
Here are some things you should know or do to be prepared psychologically for your exam:
- Ignore the Clock. Well, not entirely, but don’t let the clock distract you. Glance at it every 10 questions or so to see how you are doing on time, but don’t focus on it. And definitely don’t watch the time count down when you are taking a short break in between questions!
- Ignore distractions. Of course there will always be distractions (like the guy coughing next to you). The key is not focusing on the distractions. If you feel yourself getting distracted, close your eyes, take a deep breath and start again. Do this as often as you need to stay focused on the task at hand.
- Don’t get hung up if you don’t know an answer. Every exam has questions that seem nearly impossible. Remember you don’t need to get all of the questions right in order to pass. Pick your best guess on the hard questions and move on.
- Don’t get tricked by the wording of questions. Sometimes, if you read too much into a question, you’ll choose a different answer. In this case, generally going with your first instinct is best.
- Expect the Unexpected. What should you do if something goes wrong? What if your monitor shuts off, your mouse stops working or your computer freezes? Simple – Don’t panic and go straight to the testing administrator and ask for help.
Final Preparation for CCNA Exam
Once you have done all of the above, you need to ensure you review a solid CCNA cheat sheet right before you take your exam. This will give you the final edge you need to get your CCNA on your first attempt – we guarantee it 100%!